Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images
Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images

Friday, January 4, 2013

MEET THE BLOGGER(S)

Don't be deceived by the (S) in of  the title. There is only one guy writing this blog, but I've used a number of bylines in my career. My daily sports column at The Ohio State Lantern was titled, "Merv Vinocur's Second Guesses" .But,when I moved to New York City in 1957, I became M.Richard Vinocur. People, of course, began to refer to me as Dick,  During my time in the "Big Apple", I've written for, or published  a dozen business magazines in major industries, including paper, printing, computers and beauty salons. At one point, I even published for firefighters, the most rambunctious readers of all. I estimate that the paid  or controlled circulations  of those publications was was well over one million, and if you add in the pass-along readership, the number swells to more than  five million people having read my stuff. In the spirit of full disclosure, I should  note I am a news junkie, a political junkie and a  sports junkie. I guess you could say I'm easily addicted. The material covered in this blog will cover all of the above addictions and will appear Monday, Wednesday and Friday (hopefully).

Over that period o f time, I've met hundreds of executives, some outstanding, some some not. I've interviewed scores of sports celebrities, many in the pro and college halls of fame. I met and interfaced with dozens of politicians, from local mayors to U.S. Presidents.  I've had cocktails at The White House and spent considerable time in corporate boardrooms. I'm guessing that over the years I've  written several thousand columns or commentaries

If I had  a shrink, he or she would probably advise me to keep writing because I have a lot to say and I have to get it off my chest. I've been blessed with an amazing memory and have the ability to name virtually every person I've hired, fired, interviewed, worked with, and dealt with during my half-century of publishing. And I can pinpoint the year of every significant event in my life. As a result, I have hundreds of stories to  tell and opinions to give. Unlike Fox's Bill O'Reilly's "No Spin Zone", this blog will be Dick's Spin Zone. Speaking of O'Reilly, if you haven't read his two book on killing Lincoln and JFK, do. They are both riveting reads.

If you're wondering about the title of this blog, allow me to explain. As a publisher/editor, I was often asked to speak at large industry gatherings and to university students who had not decided what they wanted to do with the rest of their lives.I'd always end my talks with the following: "No matter what decisions you arrive at, make some money, have some fun, and leave some footprints."

Finally, I should report that I feel like a high wire performer working without a net. I've always had an astute editor cleaning up my copy. But look Ma, no net..no editor. If you spot a typo or two, ignore it or them.
I can be reached at mrvinocur@gmail.com